Termination of an existing interest rate hedge
Hedging and Capital Markets
Private Equity | London
SummaryA recent example of how we successfully advised a European financial sponsor on terminating an existing debt hedge at exit.
- A highly successful exit (more than 3x return) from a European financial sponsor to a strategic buyer.
- The existing debt was fully repaid at company level by the new owner shortly after closing.
- The existing debt, hedged with interest rate swaps, was provided by a pool of banks. All swaps were deep in-the-money (i.e. asset for the company).
- Our client had the right to terminate the interest rate swaps by the banks.
- The client received an un-competitive offer to terminate the swaps.
- We provided independent pricings/valuations for the swaps.
- We analysed termination/x-value adjustment (XVA) charges that were potentially applicable to the trades,
- We negotiated termination costs in line with market practice.
- We co-ordinated the termination process.
- Transparency on XVAs. XVAs are too often passed on to clients, who are charged without much transparency.
- Large savings for the client on the termination costs of the existing hedging instruments (more than 7x Chatham fee).
- Fair and independent termination process for both parties (New owner and the seller).
Contact the author
Please complete the form below to find out more about optimal hedging strategies for private equity funds.
Our featured insights
Chatham's Q4 2022 outlook: Inflation, market volatility, and LIBOR transition
Watch Chatham's Managing Partner and Chair, Amol Dhargalkar, discuss key trends for the upcoming quarter like inflation, market volatility, and LIBOR transition.
Chatham Financial acts as the sole financial risk management and hedging advisor for the New Terminal One at JFK Airport
Chatham Financial acted as the sole financial risk management and hedging advisor for sponsors redeveloping terminals 1, 2, and 3 of New York’s JFK Airport. On June 10, New Terminal One at JFK Airport, a consortium of labor, operating, and financial partners building this terminal, announced the financial close of the first phase of the project and will move forward with construction.
Chatham Financial announces CEO transition effective January 2022
Matt Henry named the next Chatham CEO
Clark Maxwell and Laura Grant: 30 years of bringing knowledge, data, and tools to the capital markets
Clark Maxwell and Laura Grant talk about how Chatham continues to bring a combination of knowledge, data, and tools to the capital markets. Chatham Financial is celebrating 30 years of serving our clients.
Interest rate swap for an LBO financing: Three benefits of hiring an advisor
The key benefits of engaging an advisor for an interest rate swap in an LBO financing.
FX deal-contingent hedging for a large private equity fund
A recent example of deal-contingent hedging for a large European private equity fund.
Hedging a EUR refinancing
A recent example of an optimal hedging strategy for a large European private equity fund looking to refinance one of its assets.