Termination of an existing interest rate hedge
Hedging and Capital Markets
Private Equity | London
A recent example of how we successfully advised a European financial sponsor on terminating an existing debt hedge at exit.
- A highly successful exit (more than 3x return) from a European financial sponsor to a strategic buyer.
- The existing debt was fully repaid at company level by the new owner shortly after closing.
- The existing debt, hedged with interest rate swaps, was provided by a pool of banks. All swaps were deep in-the-money (i.e. asset for the company).
- Our client had the right to terminate the interest rate swaps by the banks.
- The client received an un-competitive offer to terminate the swaps.
- We provided independent pricings/valuations for the swaps.
- We analysed termination/x-value adjustment (XVA) charges that were potentially applicable to the trades,
- We negotiated termination costs in line with market practice.
- We co-ordinated the termination process.
- Transparency on XVAs. XVAs are too often passed on to clients, who are charged without much transparency.
- Large savings for the client on the termination costs of the existing hedging instruments (more than 7x Chatham fee).
- Fair and independent termination process for both parties (New owner and the seller).
Contact the author
Please complete the form below to find out more about optimal hedging strategies for private equity funds.
Our featured insights
Interest rate swap for an LBO financing: Three benefits of hiring an advisor
The key benefits of engaging an advisor for an interest rate swap in an LBO financing.
FX deal-contingent hedging for a large private equity fund
A recent example of deal-contingent hedging for a large European private equity fund.
Hedging a EUR refinancing
A recent example of an optimal hedging strategy for a large European private equity fund looking to refinance one of its assets.
Chatham Financial wins Hedging Adviser of the Year at the Risk Awards
On November 26, Chatham Financial accepted the inaugural Hedging Adviser of the Year award at the 2020 Risk Awards. This new award recognizes excellence in providing independent advice to derivatives users.
Chatham's 2019 annual European business review
Our annual business review summarizes JCRA's (now part of Chatham Financial) and Chatham's European activities, sector trends, and deals in 2019.
Interest rate swaption
An interest rate swaption is an option that provides the borrower with the right but not the obligation to enter into an interest rate swap on an agreed date(s) in the future on terms protected by the swaption.
Interest rate swap and floor
An interest rate swap and floor is a combination of an interest rate swap with the purchase of an interest rate floor.