Hedging a EUR refinancing
Hedging and Capital Markets
Private Equity | London
A recent example of an optimal hedging strategy for a large European private equity fund looking to refinance one of its assets.
- Refinancing of an existing unitranche (provided by a debt fund) with an optimized senior (four lending banks) and second lien (debt fund) structure
- Existing unsuitable hedging instruments with negative marked-to-market from the previous financing
- 0% and 0.25% floors on EURIBOR to be taken into consideration
- Business plan included potential refinancing after two years and the desire to hedge for a longer period (four to five years) than the mandatory hedging requirement
- Provide support for legal documentation negotiation (hedging letter and security wording for second lien hedging)
- Analyse different options available on the existing hedging instruments: termination, blend-and-extend, run-off or top-up
- Work closely with the company and the sponsors to structure and implement an optimal hedging strategy while mitigating the potential impact of break costs in a refinancing scenario after two years
- Implement a hedging strategy that provides certainty for the first two years and flexibility thereafter
- A two-year swap followed by a two-year out-of-the money option (swaption) to enter into a two-year swap were implemented
Large savings on the termination costs of the existing hedging instruments
Tailor made four-year interest rate hedging strategy to support the business objectives:
- Two-year swap with floor buy-back to provide certainty on interest costs
- Two-year out of the money (swaption) on a two-year swap to:
- mitigate break costs in a refinancing scenario
- provide a worst case hedge if EUR rates are above the strike of the swaption in two years
- benefit from a low interest rate environment in two year's time
- Deferred premium on the swaption to minimize liquidity impact
- A competitive process including five banks was conducted to ensure an optimal pricing outcome for the client
Contact the author
Please complete the form below to find out more about optimal hedging strategies for private equity funds.
This material has been created by Chatham Financial Europe, Ltd. and is intended for a non-U.S. audience. Chatham Financial Europe, Ltd. is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority of the United Kingdom with reference number 197251.
Our featured insights
A recent example of deal-contingent hedging for a large European private equity fund.
On November 26, Chatham Financial accepted the inaugural Hedging Adviser of the Year award at the 2020 Risk Awards. This new award recognizes excellence in providing independent advice to derivatives users.
Our annual business review summarizes JCRA's (now part of Chatham Financial) and Chatham's European activities, sector trends, and deals in 2019.
JCRA, now part of Chatham Financial, the independent financial risk management advisory, is delighted to announce that it has been recognised as Risk Management Advisory Firm of the Year at the GlobalCapital Global Derivatives Awards 2019.