- Impact markets. Chatham seeks to make the markets we serve fair, safe, and transparent.
- Impact our clients. Chatham seeks to earn each client’s trust and partner with them for mutual success.
- Impact Chathamites. Chatham seeks to create a vibrant culture in which Chathamites develop and thrive both professionally and personally.
- Impact our communities and the world. Chatham seeks to combine our time, financial resources, and unique capabilities to better our communities and address global problems.
- Impact purpose-oriented investors. Chatham seeks to provide strong, long-term financial returns to current and future generations of investors who steward our purposes, values, and culture.
These purposes are the reasons Chatham exists and provide the inspiration for building an organization of like-minded individuals who are driven in both thought and action toward making a difference.
In a world rocked by LIBOR scandals and insider trading, more companies are paying attention to the idea of core values. We see our core values as timeless standards that we would rather shut our doors and go home rather than violate. They provide the guiderails on our quest to accomplish our five purposes.
Chatham’s approach is to find employees whose personal values align with our core values and who can become propagators of those values. We then vest those values with organizational power that supersedes titles or compensation. We encourage everyone to throw the flag, regardless of tenure or role, if there is even the slightest suspect of a value being in question.
Value definitions are subject to wide interpretation. While some behaviors are clear violations under almost anyone’s definition, many situations are in the gray. Our approach is to use those times to generate discussions to help each Chathamite have a deeper and richer understanding of what it means to live according to our values.
- Act with honesty and integrity. We strive to align our thoughts, speech and actions so that we do what is right, just and fair, even when no one is looking. We will be honest with each other, with our clients and with ourselves, regardless of the consequences.
- Respect each individual. We want to treat each other with respect and dignity. We strive to serve our fellow team members and help them achieve their full potential. We respect that a person’s life outside of work is important.
- Do excellent work. We strive to do the best work possible. We believe that good is the enemy of great and will not be satisfied with mediocrity.
- Work together. Individual success is best achieved through team success and a focus on ‘we’ rather than ‘me’. We work to accomplish great things together and share information freely.
- Build long-term relationships. We always invest in our relationships with our clients, business partners and team members with a long-term perspective in mind. Recognizing that trust is a critical element to any long-term relationship, we seek to earn and develop it with others.