Hedge accounting implementation leads to an automated solution
When facing increasing shifts in the manufacturing sector, new senior leadership of a Fortune 100 company proposed the application of hedge accounting. The firm was faced with integrating and automating an accounting program to support the high volume of trades and meet its complex needs in managing foreign exchange risk as well as commodity risk.
- Quickly implement hedge accounting programs for the firm’s FX and commodities exposures.
- Integrate systems utilized for mark-to-market and cash flow trades with an automated technology solution to bring in transactions and value them in accordance with accounting standards.
- Align procurement, treasury, and accounting teams to comprehensively hedge existing exposures.
- Retain accounting expertise and maintain a continued advisory partnership to handle the complexity of the firm’s program and exposures.
- Operationalizing a hedge accounting program: The organization worked with Chatham to kickstart, streamline, and maintain a program with exposures across asset classes quickly and efficiently.
- Align with various stakeholders: Dozens of stakeholders across the procurement, treasury, and accounting teams partnered with Chatham’s hedging, hedge accounting, and technology subject matter experts to drive cohesive, company-wide results.
- Support changing reporting and hedging needs: The Chatham hedge accounting team adapted to the shifting needs of a global company operating in a volatile economic environment while providing both GAAP and IFRS support.
- Automate trades through ChathamDirect: The treasury team integrated the ChathamDirect platform with its systems for mark-to-market trades, creating a seamless user interface for the firm.
- Reduced P&L impact and protected earnings through implementing hedge accounting programs across a variety of asset classes.
- Improved cost efficiency while reducing key-person risk through automating manual treasury and accounting processes.
- Increased controls and collaborated with auditors to reduce risk of error from period-end processes.
Subscribe to receive our market insights and webinar invites
Chatham Hedging Advisors, LLC (CHA) is a subsidiary of Chatham Financial Corp. and provides hedge advisory, accounting and execution services related to swap transactions in the United States. CHA is registered with the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) as a commodity trading advisor and is a member of the National Futures Association (NFA); however, neither the CFTC nor the NFA have passed upon the merits of participating in any advisory services offered by CHA. For further information, please visit chathamfinancial.com/legal-notices.23-0246
Our featured insights
Well received AHGS issue at 10-year maturity in response to housing association demand
The Chancellor’s Autumn statement, an economic update, capital market issuance, and more in today's fortnightly.
Navigating market exuberance; assessing the divergence between the Fed and market sentiment
Market exuberance continued last week as risk-on sentiment continued to take hold on Wall Street. Fed rate cut expectations increased, despite Fed commentary and potential headwinds within the economic data the market is using to calibrate its expectations. The resulting deviation between the...
Four key considerations to managing foreign exchange risk with a strengthening dollar
Considering the ongoing hawkish rhetoric from the Federal Reserve, the U.S. dollar continues to show meaningful strength since reaching a 12-month low earlier this summer. As the Fed attempts to stick a successful soft landing, multinational companies (especially those with foreign-denominated revenues) are once again facing negative FX impacts.
ChathamDirect Product Update: Q4 2023
To deliver on the advantages clients gain from our seamless integration of advisory, operations, and technology, the ChathamDirect team continually enhances our platform, streamlining the way users manage their exposures, hedging policies, execution, valuations, and hedge accounting.
Video | Dynamic, automated business intelligence reporting
These days, it’s not enough for your treasury team to design an effective risk management program. You’re also expected to explain your strategy and hedging results to stakeholders across the company. ChathamDirect’s Business Intelligence module delivers dynamic, automated reporting on the topics...
FOMC meeting minutes provide insight during the holiday week
The FOMC meeting minutes release headlined last week’s economic news. In the release, the Committee noted they see conditions continuing to tighten while inflation remains above their target.
Cooling markets, strengthening yen, and hopes for a soft landing
Data released this week showed that jobless claims, the U.S. industrial production, gasoline prices, and the rate of inflation have cooled off. The U.S. dollar was on track Friday for one of its steepest weekly falls against other major currencies this year, while the Japanese yen showed one of...
Chatham welcomes treasury risk management expert Stuart Hill to the Global Corporates team
Stuart Hill joins Chatham Financial’s Global Corporates team, focusing on treasury risk management to help our clients manage their financial risks. He brings a wide range of experience, spanning interest rates, FX and commodities, and debt capital market issuance.