FX deal-contingent hedging for a large private equity fund
Benoit Duhil de Benaze
Hedging and Capital Markets
Private Equity | London
SummaryA recent example of deal-contingent hedging for a large European private equity fund.
- A large EUR PE fund was acquiring a UK business with a consideration payable in GBP.
- Equity for the transaction was denominated into EUR giving rise to FX risk between signing and closing of the acquisition price.
- The deal was subject to regulatory approval which implied that the risk of the acquisition failing to complete was low.
- The client had the choice between eight deal-contingent providers (inbounds and banks involved in the deal).
- Chatham conducted an independent review of the sales and purchase agreement (SPA) to offer two alternatives for implementation achieving different objectives and timelines.
- We managed and coordinated an efficient process with a tight schedule (three business days to trade) with the client, the selected banks, and all other parties involved (M&A lawyer for due diligence and a derivatives lawyer to review the deal confirmation).
- We provided additional input during the process: deal-contingent option discussion, flexibility to settle before closing, and other commercial points.
- Finally, Chatham conducted live benchmarking during implementation of the trade ensuring efficient, transparent pricing was achieved.
- A tailor-made process to the underlying M&A situation, the banks involved, and the size of market risk in order to create the best pricing environment, while limiting the amount of work/resources on the client side.
- The deadline for implementation was very tight.
- Highly attractive pricing with a deal-contingent premium of less than 20% of the at-the-money option.
- The flexible settlement mechanism allowed for the delivery of the contract at any date between the first and the long-stop date at no additional cost.
Contact the author
Please complete the form below to find out more about deal contingent hedging
This material has been created by Chatham Financial Europe, Ltd. and is intended for a non-U.S. audience. Chatham Financial Europe, Ltd. is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority of the United Kingdom with reference number 197251.
Our featured insights
Expert conversation with Matt Henry and Jackie Bowie
Matt Henry, Chatham's Managing Partner and CEO, sat down with Jackie Bowie, Managing Partner and Head of Europe. In this interview, Jackie discusses macro and micro economic issues and trends that the U.K. and Europe could be facing going into 2023 and 2024.
- Real Estate
- Post Date
- Feb 7, 2023
Chatham Financial announces CEO transition effective January 2022
Matt Henry named the next Chatham CEO
Hedging a EUR refinancing
A recent example of an optimal hedging strategy for a large European private equity fund looking to refinance one of its assets.
- Private Equity
Chatham Financial wins Hedging Adviser of the Year at the Risk Awards
On November 26, Chatham Financial accepted the inaugural Hedging Adviser of the Year award at the 2020 Risk Awards. This new award recognizes excellence in providing independent advice to derivatives users.
- Post Date
- May 22, 2020
Chatham crowned Risk Management Advisory Firm of the Year
JCRA, now part of Chatham Financial, the independent financial risk management advisory, is delighted to announce that it has been recognised as Risk Management Advisory Firm of the Year at the GlobalCapital Global Derivatives Awards 2019.
- Post Date
- Sep 25, 2019