FX deal-contingent hedging for a large private equity fund
Hedging and Capital Markets
Private Equity | London
A recent example of deal-contingent hedging for a large European private equity fund.
- A large EUR PE fund was acquiring a UK business with a consideration payable in GBP.
- Equity for the transaction was denominated into EUR giving rise to FX risk between signing and closing of the acquisition price.
- The deal was subject to regulatory approval which implied that the risk of the acquisition failing to complete was low.
- The client had the choice between eight deal-contingent providers (inbounds and banks involved in the deal).
- Chatham conducted an independent review of the sales and purchase agreement (SPA) to offer two alternatives for implementation achieving different objectives and timelines.
- We managed and coordinated an efficient process with a tight schedule (three business days to trade) with the client, the selected banks, and all other parties involved (M&A lawyer for due diligence and a derivatives lawyer to review the deal confirmation).
- We provided additional input during the process: deal-contingent option discussion, flexibility to settle before closing, and other commercial points.
- Finally, Chatham conducted live benchmarking during implementation of the trade ensuring efficient, transparent pricing was achieved.
- A tailor-made process to the underlying M&A situation, the banks involved, and the size of market risk in order to create the best pricing environment, while limiting the amount of work/resources on the client side.
- The deadline for implementation was very tight.
- Highly attractive pricing with a deal-contingent premium of less than 20% of the at-the-money option.
- The flexible settlement mechanism allowed for the delivery of the contract at any date between the first and the long-stop date at no additional cost.
Contact the author
Please complete the form below to find out more about deal contingent hedging
This material has been created by Chatham Financial Europe, Ltd. and is intended for a non-U.S. audience. Chatham Financial Europe, Ltd. is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority of the United Kingdom with reference number 197251.