UK REIT: Pre-hedging loan breakage costs
SummaryA case study of how Chatham advised a UK REIT how to optimise its hedging strategy, when substituting an existing loan.
A UK REIT was looking to substitute and dispose an existing fixed rate loan, which would have led to partial repayment of the loan.
- Chatham was appointed to manage the partial termination process and ensure transparent pricing of the breakage costs.
- The market risk of a further downward movement in interest rates had to be mitigated.
- The pre-hedging strategy had to limit the potential increase of the loan’s breakage costs between exchange and completion.
- After discussing the business plan with the company, we determined the key objectives and advised on the most suitable pre-hedging strategy using interest rate swaptions.
- We helped the company with sourcing a competitive hedge counterparty to implement the hedging strategy within the company’s deadline.
- We advised on the methodology applied by the lender to determine the breakage costs of the fixed rate loan.
- We conducted continuous benchmarking with the lender and hedge counterparty to ensure fairness and transparency.
- The client received transparent and fair loan breakage costs.
- The market risk of moving interest rates was removed.
- A highly effective hedging strategy in line with the company’s objectives.
- Significant time and resources were saved, due to an efficiently run process.
Please complete the form below to find out more about optimal hedging strategies for UK REITs.
This material has been created by Chatham Financial Europe, Ltd. and is intended for a non-U.S. audience. Chatham Financial Europe, Ltd. is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority of the United Kingdom with reference number 197251.
Our featured insights
Russian invasion of Ukraine — impact on interest rate, currency, and commodity markets
There has been a lot of activity already in the markets this year as central banks reacted to the inflationary pressures with a tightening of monetary policy. This has been reflected in their actions (Bank of England) and in their tone of messaging (European Central Bank). With the threatened...
Key takeaways: Semiannual Market Update webinar for real estate
On February 9, Chatham held our Semiannual Market Update webinar for real estate, presented by Matt Hoffman and Jackie Bowie. There was a macroeconomic update covering the U.S., U.K., and Europe, a discussion on hedging considerations and strategies, and a brief update on the IBOR transition. In...
Capital markets and accounting considerations in real estate M&A
Mergers and acquisitions involve a multitude of complexities and risks. Speed and accuracy at every stage of an acquisition is critical to not only winning the deal but also giving the transaction the best chance of financial and strategic success. Financial risk associated with the valuation of...
Financial risk management serving commercial real estate since 1991
Chatham Financial is the largest independent financial risk management advisory and technology firm. A leader in debt and derivative solutions, we provide access to in-depth knowledge, innovative tools, and an incomparable team to help mitigate risks associated with interest rate and FX exposures.
Chatham Financial announces CEO transition effective January 2022
Matt Henry named the next Chatham CEO
Matt Henry: 30 years of partnership and innovation with our clients
Matt Henry reveals how our clients rely on Chatham's independence and innovation to ensure they are making informed financial risk management decisions. Chatham Financial is celebrating 30 years of serving our clients.
Clark Maxwell and Laura Grant: 30 years of bringing knowledge, data, and tools to the capital markets
Clark Maxwell and Laura Grant talk about how Chatham continues to bring a combination of knowledge, data, and tools to the capital markets. Chatham Financial is celebrating 30 years of serving our clients.
U.S. real estate and capital markets update Q3 2021
As we wind down on summer 2021, many Americans are returning to the office and sending their children back to school. We recently reviewed the effects of COVID-19 on the U.S. economy and takeaways for the real estate market during our semiannual market update webinar. On September 15,...