Sales and Business Development Lead
- Business Development
- Kennett Square, PA
- Commensurate upon experience.
- Benefits include health insurance, life and disability insurance, 401k, EAP, paid holidays and paid time off.
We don’t simply hire employees. We invest in them. When you work at Chatham, we empower you — offering professional development opportunities to help you grow in your career, no matter if you've been here for five months or 15 years. Chatham has worked hard to create a distinct work environment that values people, teamwork, integrity, and client service. You will have immediate opportunities to partner with talented subject matter experts, work on complex projects, and contribute to the value Chatham delivers every day.
The Global Real Estate (GRE) Sale’s team supports GRE with the acquisition of new clients; identification and cultivation of sales of new services to existing clients; and client relationship management with existing clients and industry partners.
The vast and fragmented nature of the real estate industry, coupled with GRE’s dominant position and extremely large client base and industry relationships, necessitates a strategic and organized outreach plan for both clients and industry partners, which includes mortgage brokers, agency (Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac) loan originators non-bank lenders such as debt funds, counsel, etc. It is essential to prioritize where to devote finite resources to maximize impact through a diverse range of sales delivery mediums (in-person visits, personalized and mass email, update calls, large and small group presentations, marketing efforts, CLEs, etc.). The execution of this plan requires active participation by the salesperson, as well as coordination of the participation of the broader hedging and defeasance teams who have at times competing responsibilities for limited resourcing.
As we continue to grow this network of clients and Influencers and maintain these relationships, we have a need to grow our sales staffing. This sales effort is both offensive (continuing to build on our market share as the undisputed leader in both interest rate and defeasance transaction volume and service quality) as well as defensive (gathering intelligence on competitor tactics, particularly with Influencers), thwart competitors’ efforts to win over our existing clients and reacting, as appropriate, to best compete and defend our current market share).
In this role you will:
- Be the lead the Influencer plan for Eastern US (mortgage brokers, agency originators, bridge lenders, counsel) to:
- Plan, lead and execute on relationship plans per influencer team/office
- Coordinate, collaborate and work in conjunction with current leader of the Influencer plan and transactional sales to assess and record strength of relationship, prioritization, and necessary next steps.
- Utilize marketing tools to assess what Influencers are interacting with us or consuming our market data to target most likely referral sources
- Provide timely feedback to the hedging team leads and GRE technology manager on processes, systems and procedures to gather data and improve our systems and support for high volume transactional business of interest rate caps and defeasance
- Research to ensure continual awareness of landscape of companies and employees in a constantly changing environment
- Embed within the hedging and defeasance transaction teams to:
- Cooperate with hedging team client relationship owners in the development of outreach plans and execution of such plans for a diverse range of client
- Assist in pre-transaction sales process
- Help with analysis, indicative pricing, etc.
- Assess whether/when we are in competition and assist hedging and defeasance teams with articulation of value proposition and differentiation
- Be the foundational awareness of competitor activity and when/how we compete, as well as drive attitudes and skills/habits across transaction teams to better compete as our competitors continually increase their efforts against us
- Be the key driver of the “important but not urgent” in a team dominated by the “important and urgent” of timely, responsive client service. One of the biggest challenges of this role is to liaise and partner with various members of a busy transactional team to assess relationships and pre-transaction sale opportunities, then partner with different team members both in the office and on the road to start new relationships, strengthen existing ones, and maintain an accurate record of these relationships
- Travel ~2 days/week in the northeastern, midwestern, and southeastern US, and attend occasional conferences across the country (2-4/yr)
Contributors to your success:
- Tenacity and persistence
- Strong drive to win
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and comfort talking in front of an unknown audience
- Understanding of the interest rate hedging markets, defeasance, and real estate markets and fundamentals
- Ability to communicate complex topics at the appropriate levels for a wide range of audiences with respect to awareness, understanding and sophistication
- Experience leading client interactions and meetings, both internally and externally
- Maturity and experience to navigate ambiguous and confrontational interactions with poise and resolve
- Minimum 5 years of work
This is a client-facing role for a salesperson/business development professional who will interact with clients and industry partners. The purpose of the role is to increase client and industry partners’ awareness of how they can leverage Chatham, to better understand Chatham’s clients so we can serve them better, and to gather market intelligence so that we can create new and improved services. The role will contribute to our purpose of Impacting Clients and is dynamic and fast-paced.
About Chatham Financial:
Chatham Financial is the largest independent financial risk management advisory and technology firm. A leader in debt and derivative solutions, Chatham provides clients with access to in-depth knowledge, innovative tools, and an incomparable team of over 600 employees to help mitigate risks associated with interest rate, foreign currency, and commodity exposures. Founded in 1991, Chatham serves more than 3,000 companies across a wide range of industries — handling over $750 billion in transaction volume annually and helping businesses maximize their value in the capital markets, every day. To learn more, visit chathamfinancial.com.
Please note that our company has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy for employees to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees and visitors. As a condition of employment, employees who are client facing or have frequent travel are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law. This is a client-facing, and/or role requiring travel and requires vaccination.