Senior Hedge Accounting Consultant
- Hedge Accounting
- Denver, CO
- Benefits include health insurance, life and disability insurance, 401k, EAP, paid holidays and paid time off.
We don’t simply hire employees. We invest in them. When you work at Chatham, we empower you — offering mentorship and professional development opportunities to help you grow in your career, no matter if you've been here for five months or 15 years. Chatham has worked hard to create a distinct work environment that values people, teamwork, integrity, and client service. You will have immediate opportunities to partner with talented subject matter experts, work on complex projects, and contribute to the value Chatham delivers every day.
Chatham’s Hedge Accounting Practice is a thought leader in our industry. Our team members advise clients on the design and implementation of hedge accounting strategies on high-profile interest rate, foreign currency and commodity hedging transactions. We consult on a high volume of transactions annually, each with its own set of facts and circumstances, which provides our team members with tremendous opportunity to learn quickly. Often our consulting engagements lead to direct contact with our clients’ auditors and regulators, which adds another nuance to the consulting process. We also engage with accounting standard setters as they work to improve the hedge accounting guidance under US GAAP and IFRS. Chatham is a professional services firm, and as such the needs of our clients influence our schedules and deadlines. However, we seek to work with our team members to provide flexibility when needed to help manage personal and professional lives.
One of Chatham’s purposes is to have an impact on our clients. In this role, you will interact with treasurers, CFOs, controllers, audit partners, audit firm derivatives specialists, and standard setters. This role has a major client service/consulting component. Members of the team will have the opportunity to provide answers to client questions around complex topics, conduct research, have discussions with key personnel, and truly add value to our clients’ needs. Another Chatham purpose is to have an impact on our employees. You will have the opportunity to develop a specialization in this role — work with intelligent colleagues who are as invested in your success as they are in their own; learn about a lot of different industries in an environment that encourages asking questions; and develop in your role.
In this role you will:
- Provide consultation to clients at the highest levels of accounting and finance to a sophisticated client base
- Manage a portfolio of clients providing advisement on hedging strategies, running and analyzing effectiveness tests, drafting hedge designation memos, creating journal entries and financial statement disclosures in accordance with US GAAP and IFRS, and providing management and auditor support
- Serve as a subject matter expert who your clients and colleagues seek for guidance
- Develop an excellent understanding of hedge accounting and the underlying economics of interest rate, foreign currency and commodities hedging through daily interaction with Chatham’s hedging advisors
- Contribute to cutting-edge research in one of the most complex and still-evolving areas of accounting
Contributors to your success
- A minimum of 4 years in accounting advisory (Big Four a plus)
- A passion for technical accounting, related research, and reading and applying US GAAP and/or IFRS accounting standards
- Experience in ASC 815/ASC 820 and/or IFRS 9/IFRS 13 a plus, but not necessary as long as you have the aptitude and desire to become a subject matter expert on these topics
- A desire to thrill clients — the client service part of public accounting is fulfilling for you, and you’d like to carry your client-service orientation into this next opportunity
- Enjoyment for working as part of a team and having camaraderie with your colleagues
- Excellent organizational, multi-tasking, self-motivating and time-management skills
- Related industry experience
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in accounting and CPA (or path to becoming a CPA)
- An interest in finance will help you in understanding the economics of the derivatives transactions and how to account for these transactions
- Travel of ~10% is possible; our work is not conducted at our clients’ locations, but we do travel occasionally for business development and relationship management purposes
About Chatham Financial:
Chatham Financial is the largest independent financial risk management advisory and technology firm. A leader in debt and derivative solutions, Chatham provides clients with access to in-depth knowledge, innovative tools, and an incomparable team of over 600 employees to help mitigate risks associated with interest rate, foreign currency, and commodity exposures. Founded in 1991, Chatham serves more than 3,000 companies across a wide range of industries — handling over $750 billion in transaction volume annually and helping businesses maximize their value in the capital markets, every day. To learn more, visit chathamfinancial.com.
Please note that our company has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy for employees to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees and visitors. As a condition of employment, employees who are client facing or have frequent travel are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law. This is a client-facing, and/or role requiring travel and requires vaccination.