Hedge Accounting Consultant
- Client Advisory
We don’t simply hire employees. We invest in them. When you work at Chatham, we empower you — offering professional development opportunities to help you grow in your career, no matter if you've been here for five months or 15 years. Chatham has worked hard to create a distinct work environment that values people, teamwork, integrity, and client service. You will have immediate opportunities to partner with talented subject matter experts, work on complex projects, and contribute to the value Chatham delivers every day.
Chatham’s Hedge Accounting Practice is a thought leader in our industry. Our team members advise clients on the design and implementation of hedge accounting strategies on high-profile hedging transactions. We consult on a high volume of transactions annually, each with its own set of facts and circumstances, which provides our team members with tremendous opportunity to learn quickly. Often our consulting engagements lead to direct contact with our clients’ auditors and regulators, which adds another nuance to the consulting process. We also engage with accounting standard setters as they work to change the hedge accounting guidance under US GAAP and IFRS.
In this role you will:
- Provide consultation to clients at the highest levels of accounting and finance in their organizations
- Manage a client portfolio providing advice on hedging strategies, running and analyzing effectiveness tests, drafting hedge designation memos, creating inputs for future journal entries, and providing monthly reporting
- Serve as a subject matter expert who your clients and colleagues seek for guidance
- Develop an excellent understanding of hedge accounting and the underlying economics of interest rate, foreign currency and commodities hedging through daily interaction with Chatham’s traders
- Contribute to cutting-edge research in one of the most complex and still-evolving areas of accounting
One of Chatham’s purposes is to have an impact on our clients. In this role, you will work with treasurers, CFOs, controllers, audit partners, and standard setters. This role has a major client service/consulting component. Members of the team will have the opportunity to provide answers to client questions around complex topics, conduct research, have discussions with key personnel, and truly add value to their clients’ needs. Another Chatham purpose is to have an impact on our employees. You will have the opportunity to develop a specialization in this role — work with smart colleagues who are as invested in your success as they are in their own; learn about a lot of different industries in an environment that encourages asking questions; and develop in your role.
Contributors to your success:
- A qualified chartered accountant
- 0 to 3 years of post-qualified experience in financial reporting, auditing or technical accounting advisory
- Good working knowledge of IFRS, particularly IFRS 9
- A basic understanding of derivative financial instruments and enthusiasm to learn more
- Experience in treasury or accounting systems and strong Excel skills
- Good analytical and numerical skills
- A desire to thrill clients — the client service part of working in practice is fulfilling for you, and you’d like to carry your client-service orientation into this next opportunity
- Enjoyment for working as part of a team and having camaraderie with your colleagues
- Excellent organizational, multi-tasking, and time-management skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
About Chatham Financial:
Chatham Financial delivers financial risk management advisory and technology solutions to organizations across industries and around the world by helping companies maximize value in the capital markets. At Chatham, we help businesses improve their bottom lines. But that’s not the only place we’re committed to making an impact. We look beyond our clients, too — enhancing the markets where we work, supporting the clients we partner with, helping our employees thrive, and giving back to the world at large. And when you join Chatham, you’re an integral part of this equation, enabling us to live this purpose-driven philosophy every day.