Documentation & Regulatory Advisor
- Client Advisory
We don’t simply hire employees. We invest in them. When you work at Chatham, we empower you — offering professional development opportunities to help you grow in your career, no matter if you've been here for five months or 15 years. Chatham has worked hard to create a distinct work environment that values people, teamwork, integrity, and client service. You will have immediate opportunities to partner with talented subject matter experts, work on complex projects, and contribute to the value Chatham delivers every day.
We seek to enhance our regulatory and documentation team in Europe with a role specializing in reviewing, analyzing, and negotiating the derivative agreements that govern the relationships between our clients and their dealer bank counterparties. The role will also analyze, interpret, and explain the practical application of global regulations for internal and external clients. The documents this role may work with include the Master Agreements and Schedules developed by the International Swaps & Derivatives Association (ISDA), ISDA Credit Support Annexes, framework agreements, trade confirmations, and other related derivatives documentation. This central team is charged with supporting real estate, private equity, infrastructure, corporate and emerging markets sectors in both regulatory and derivative documentation matters.
In this role you will:
The purpose of the role is to develop deep expertise regarding derivatives regulation and documentation and to advise these sectors and external clients on these matters. We expect primary responsibilities to include:
Being a derivatives documentation subject matter expert:
- Possessing deep expertise about the various ISDA agreements, other related derivatives documentation and market standards governing our clients’ derivative transactions
- Effectively sharing knowledge relating to ISDA agreements, other derivatives related documentation and market standards with clients
- Negotiating contract terms on behalf of clients with bank counterparties
- Identifying and communicating industry developments and trends, both internally and externally
- Understanding hedging mechanisms and provisions in underlying credit documentation
Being a regulatory subject matter expert:
- Analyzing and interpreting global derivatives regulation
- Developing and maintaining internal and external communication tools that effectively and proactively share this subject matter expertise
- Advising clients on the practical implications of derivatives regulation
The role may also include opportunities to contribute to the team in other capacities as interests and team needs align.
Our team works in partnership with Chatham’s advisory teams and clients to ensure they obtain fair and market standard provisions in their derivatives contracts. We strive to establish long-term working relationships with our clients, counsels, banks, and internal and external stakeholders, which allow us to provide efficient and effective advisory to our clients and our hedging advisory teams. This team also provides regular training and resources for all Chatham teams on upcoming market and regulatory changes which may impact derivatives documentation.
Contributors to your success:
- A legal degree and a minimum of 3 years of experience working with derivatives documentation, derivatives regulation or contract review is required.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, as well as strong linguistic abilities.
- Critical thinking with the ability to read and comprehend complex information quickly.
- Attention to detail but also an ability to synthesize information with a high-level perspective.
We seek individuals that will thrive in our culture and can make a significant impact over the long term. Most of our team members do not come to Chatham with a deep understanding of derivatives; therefore, we conduct classroom and apprentice-style training. We look for people who have consistently demonstrated drive, determination, and academic/professional accomplishment throughout their lives. We invest a great deal of time and training with our employees and we are looking for individuals who want to make a long-term commitment to the company.
About Chatham Financial:
Chatham Financial delivers financial risk management advisory and technology solutions to organizations across industries and around the world by helping companies maximize value in the capital markets. At Chatham, we help businesses improve their bottom lines. But that’s not the only place we’re committed to making an impact. We look beyond our clients, too — enhancing the markets where we work, supporting the clients we partner with, helping our employees thrive, and giving back to the world at large. And when you join Chatham, you’re an integral part of this equation, enabling us to live this purpose-driven philosophy every day.