Documentation & Regulatory Advisor
- Client Advisory
- Kennett Square, PA
We don’t simply hire employees. We invest in them. When you work at Chatham, we empower you — offering professional development opportunities to help you grow in your career, no matter if you've been here for five months or 15 years. Chatham has worked hard to create a distinct work environment that values people, teamwork, integrity, and client service. You will have immediate opportunities to partner with talented subject matter experts, work on complex projects, and contribute to the value Chatham delivers every day.
We seek to enhance our Global Real Estate and Private Equity sectors with a support role specializing in derivatives legislation and regulations that impact clients, helping our consultants and clients navigate the practical implications of those regulations, as well as assisting in the negotiation of derivative agreements that govern the relationships between our clients and their counterparties. These documents may include counterparty-specific bilateral regulatory relationship documents, Master Agreements and Schedules developed by the International Swaps & Derivatives Association (ISDA), ISDA Credit Support Annexes, trade confirmations, clearing agreements, loan agreements, and other related trade documentation.
In this role you will:
The purpose of the role is to develop deep expertise regarding derivatives regulation and documentation and to advise sectors and external clients on these matters. This role will provide support to the existing documentation and regulatory advisor for the Global Real Estate and Private Equity sectors. We expect primary responsibilities to include:
- Being a regulatory subject matter expert:
- Understanding global derivatives regulation and its application in common client situations, fielding internal consultant questions regularly
- Facilitating the necessary pre-trade regulatory operations activities on behalf of external clients
- Maintaining internal and external communication tools that effectively and proactively share subject matter expertise
- Advising clients on the practical implications of derivatives regulation
- Ensuring policies and procedures and proper auditing and tracking processes are implemented and followed for client compliance with respect to derivatives regulation
- Being a derivatives documentation subject matter expert:
- Developing deep expertise about the various ISDA agreements, other related derivatives documentation and market standards governing our clients’ derivative transactions
- Effectively sharing knowledge relating to ISDA agreements, other derivatives related documentation and market standards with clients
- Negotiating contract terms on behalf of clients with bank counterparties
- Communicating industry developments and trends, both internally and externally
- Understanding hedging mechanisms and provisions in underlying credit documentation
The role may also include opportunities to contribute to the team in other capacities as interests and team needs align.
Our team works in partnership with Chatham’s advisory teams and clients to ensure they obtain fair and market standard provisions in their derivatives contracts. We strive to establish long-term working relationships with our clients, counsel, banks, and internal and external stakeholders, which allow us to provide efficient and effective advisory to our clients and our hedging advisory teams. This team also provides regular training and resources for all Chatham teams on upcoming market and regulatory changes which may impact derivatives documentation.
Contributors to your success:
- A paralegal or operational background and experience working with derivative regulation, ISDA, or contract review may be beneficial but is not required
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with an understanding of how to tailor communication style to the audience
- Critical thinking with the ability to read and comprehend complex information quickly
- Attention to detail but also an ability to synthesize information with a high-level perspective
- A proven track record of exceptional client service
We seek individuals that will thrive in our culture and can make a significant impact over the long term. Most of our team members do not come to Chatham with a deep understanding of derivatives; therefore, we conduct classroom and apprentice-style training. We look for people who have consistently demonstrated drive, determination, and academic/professional accomplishment throughout their lives. We invest a great deal of time and training with our employees and we are looking for individuals who want to make a long-term commitment to the company.
About Chatham Financial:
Chatham Financial delivers financial risk management advisory and technology solutions to organizations across industries and around the world by helping companies maximize value in the capital markets. At Chatham, we help businesses improve their bottom lines. But that’s not the only place we’re committed to making an impact. We look beyond our clients, too — enhancing the markets where we work, supporting the clients we partner with, helping our employees thrive, and giving back to the world at large. And when you join Chatham, you’re an integral part of this equation, enabling us to live this purpose-driven philosophy every day.