Director, Commodity Risk Management Advisor
- Client Advisory
- Commensurate upon experience.
We don’t simply hire employees. We invest in them. When you work at Chatham, we empower you — offering professional development opportunities to help you grow in your career, no matter if you've been here for five months or 15 years. Chatham has worked hard to create a distinct work environment that values people, teamwork, integrity, and client service. You will have immediate opportunities to partner with talented subject matter experts, work on complex projects, and contribute to the value Chatham delivers every day.
Chatham’s Infrastructure and Energy Transition team is the market leader in financial risk management for Infrastructure and Renewable Energy Asset owners and developers. Our independent advisory approach is supported by technology tools to help investors understand financial trade-offs and execute derivative strategies at the individual asset and portfolio level.
In this role you will be responsible for:
- Business Development: Identify and pursue opportunities to expand Chatham’s commodity business in Europe. Opportunity pursuit will require collaboration with multiple teams including the Infrastructure team, the Accounting team, the US and European Corporates team and the Private Equity team.
- Planning and Oversight: Develop, maintain, and implement business plans and the associated documents that will streamline and formalize the European commodities business development plan.
- Risk Analysis and Management: Identify, analyze, and model financial risks of client commodity portfolios. Analyze portfolio positions, quantify potential budget variances and other standard risk metrics. Validate probability based, at risk models and incorporate their use in measuring and monitoring risk and informing client hedging decisions. Suggest prudent risk reduction measures through hedging strategies and derivative products.
- Client interface: Present risk analysis results to clients at the Treasury and Procurement team level, up to and including C Suite and the Board of Directors.
- Transaction execution: Develop hedging recommendations and execute commodity derivative transactions on behalf of clients; including support of middle office functions post execution.
- Credit Management: Support establishment of client trading credit capacity with counterparty banks.
- Risk Governance and Compliance: Assist clients with the development and finalization and approval of risk management policies.
- Other Responsibilities: Demonstrate thought leadership in the research and development of emerging issues and solutions impacting commodity risk management by publishing in and speaking to industry forums.
The successful candidate will join the European deal team based in London and will be providing Commodity risk advisory to our European clients. You will quickly become involved with clients in evaluating their risk exposures, assessing suitable hedging strategies, preparing analytical output and ultimately managing the execution and trade processes with the counterparty banks. You will also be responsible for overall client relationship management and business development opportunities for those clients also.
Contributors to your success:
- An understanding of greenfield and brownfield Project Finance transactions/debt structures may also be beneficial but is not essential.
- Excellent understanding of bi-lateral wholesale electricity and natural gas markets, including PPAs, physical supply, financial derivatives, and emissions allowances.
- Solid working knowledge of other commodity markets including agricultural commodities and base metals.
- Strong knowledge of risk concepts and business processes; commercial credit experience is a plus.
- Expertise in financial and position model building and valuation of electricity and natural gas exposures and hedges.
- Knowledgeable about the features and functionality of Commodity Trading and Risk Management Systems (CTRMS).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills and attention to detail.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software
- MA or MS degree in finance or technology-related discipline.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in risk management and front/middle (trading, marketing, trading controls) office roles.
- Experience working in a sales/structuring/trading or treasury financial risk management role.
About Chatham Financial:
Chatham Financial is the largest independent financial risk management advisory and technology firm. A leader in debt and derivative solutions, Chatham provides clients with access to in-depth knowledge, innovative tools, and an incomparable team of over 600 employees to help mitigate risks associated with interest rate, foreign currency, and commodity exposures. Founded in 1991, Chatham serves more than 3,000+ companies across a wide range of industries — handling over $750 billion in transaction volume annually and helping businesses maximize their value in the capital markets, every day. To learn more, visit chathamfinancial.com.
Chatham is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the position would be deemed regulated and subject to SMCR.