Associate Director, Real Estate Investment Banking
- Client Advisory
- Commensurate with experience
- Benefits include health insurance, life and disability insurance, 401k, EAP, paid holidays and paid time off.
We don’t simply hire employees. We invest in them. When you work at Chatham, we empower you — offering professional development opportunities to help you grow in your career, no matter if you've been here for five months or 15 years. Chatham has worked hard to create a distinct work environment that values people, teamwork, integrity, and client service. You will have immediate opportunities to partner with talented subject matter experts, work on complex projects, and contribute to the value Chatham delivers every day.
Chatham's Real Estate team has deep experience partnering with leading real estate firms globally. Through decades of working with public, non-traded, and mortgage REITs; private developers; private equity funds; investment managers; family offices; pension funds; and debt funds, we have developed and continue to define the industry standard for debt and derivatives strategy, execution, valuation, and reporting.
Chatham’s boutique Real Estate Investment Banking ("REIB") team provides tailored finance solutions on a wide range of mandates, including advisory on project financing, entity capitalization, loan document negotiation, interest rate hedging and capital markets strategy. In addition to Chatham’s market-leading hedging advisory business, many clients use Chatham’s REIB practice as an extension of their own team, with Chatham serving as a fractional/outsourced debt capital markets team or simply as “always on-call” CRE capital markets experts. Chatham has succeeded in this line of business by offering a differentiated, full-service, deep-dive approach on transactions.
In this role you will:
Chatham Financial’s Real Estate Investment Banking group is seeking a qualified Associate Director to join its Washington D.C. team. The qualified candidate will support the team lead in the execution of capital advisory mandates and will work closely with teams in Chatham’s Philadelphia and Denver offices.
- Work within a small, intimate team in a fast-paced environment to advise on financing and equity mandates and participate across the entire arc of the deal process
- Conduct preliminary underwriting analysis and pre-screening of transactions to support the deal team
- Prepare offering memorandums, including research and composition of narratives under the direction of senior leadership
- Manage the due diligence processes, running of financial models and deal underwriting
- Review documents (loan documentation, leases, appraisals, etc.) to surface and identify potential concerns and solutions
- Assist in managing various processes including pitching, due diligence and placement. Remain in constant communication with the team, capital markets, and the client
- Participate heavily in the placement process including communication of the story, addressing lenders concerns, term sheet negotiations, and closing.
- Begin to build a client network within the industry through meetings, events and involvement in real estate trade organizations
You will have the opportunity to play a vital role in every stage of a client's transaction. You will gain immediate client exposure, deepen your capital markets relationships, and sharpen your analytical skill set.
Contributors to your success:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of 3+ years of professional experience
- Experience and knowledge working with commercial real estate (CRE) debt or equity
- Strong writing skills with the ability to communicate analytical and marketing data effectively in addition to complex real estate concepts and transactions
- Strong research, analytical, and problem-solving skills. Ability to analyze qualitative and quantitative information
- Excellent Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint skills with experience in creating sophisticated comprehensive offering memorandums with limited supervision and guidance
- Ability to work with large amounts of data and understand causal relationships, attention to detail in both inputs and outputs, experience with statistical analysis and financial modeling a plus
- Self-motivated, team oriented, and strong time management skills to manage multiple projects and prioritize deadlines
- Existing relationships with lenders and equity sources (an advantage but not a must)
- Ability to travel up to 25% for client meetings and interoffice travel
About Chatham Financial:
Chatham Financial delivers financial risk management advisory and technology solutions to organizations across industries and around the world by helping companies maximize value in the capital markets. At Chatham, we help businesses improve their bottom lines. But that’s not the only place we’re committed to making an impact. We look beyond our clients, too — enhancing the markets where we work, supporting the clients we partner with, helping our employees thrive, and giving back to the world at large. And when you join Chatham, you’re an integral part of this equation, enabling us to live this purpose-driven philosophy every day.
Please note that our company has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy for office-based employees to safeguard the health and well-being of our office-based employees and visitors. As a condition of employment, our office-based employees working on-site are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law. This is an office-based role that requires the employee to work on-site.