Accounting Operations Specialist
- Client Advisory
- Kennett Square, PA
- Commensurate with experience
- Benefits include health insurance, life and disability insurance, 401k, EAP, paid holidays and paid time off.
We don’t simply hire employees. We invest in them. When you work at Chatham, we empower you — offering professional development opportunities to help you grow in your career, no matter if you've been here for five months or 15 years. Chatham has worked hard to create a distinct work environment that values people, teamwork, integrity, and client service. You will have immediate opportunities to partner with talented subject matter experts, work on complex projects, and contribute to the value Chatham delivers every day.
Chatham’s Hedge Accounting Practice is a thought leader in our industry. Our team members advise clients on the design and implementation of hedge accounting strategies on high-profile interest rate, foreign currency and commodity hedging transactions. We consult on a high volume of transactions annually, each with its own set of facts and circumstances, which provides our team members with tremendous opportunity to learn quickly. This team is responsible for delivering accounting solutions such as advisory projects and support, system and program implementation, financial reporting, effectiveness testing, and ad hoc analysis.
In this role you will:
The primary focus of this position is to support Chatham’s hedge accounting consultants in numerous capacities including preparing and reviewing client analyses, managing the processes related to generating and reviewing period-end accounting deliverables for clients, and assisting with the testing of proprietary hedge accounting technology. The position will be based in either our Kennett Square headquarters or our Denver office, and the person in this role will work with consultants across both office locations. Primary responsibilities include:
- Provide support to hedge accounting consultants – The Financial Institutions Hedge Accounting team advises over 200 companies in financial risk management. As our clients contemplate various economic strategies, our team prepares analyses to demonstrate the financial reporting impacts of potential accounting applications. As clients enter into derivative transactions, trade-specific deliverables are prepared, which typically include memos, system configuration, and quantitative testing. The person in this role will assist in the completion of transaction-related services—by either preparing or reviewing the deliverables—with oversight from the hedge accounting consultants.
- Facilitate the generation of periodic accounting deliverables for clients– The Financial Institutions Hedge Accounting team provides derivative fair values, journal entries, effectiveness tests, and other deliverables to over 200 companies during month and quarter-ends. The client-base is expected to grow through the new services and technology, as well as the onboarding of new clients. Reporting deliverables have very tight deadlines tied to our clients’ close processes and require a significant coordination to prepare and review. Much of this process has been automated by Chatham’s technology team but review, oversight, and coordination are always necessary to deliver the highest quality product to our clients.
In addition to the core responsibilities of this role, a successful hire will sponsor and encourage change that enhances our processes and technology, enabling us to grow and scale our dynamic and complex business. Accordingly, this role will not be a static operations role and will provide a myriad of growth opportunities.
This is an important role within the team, and individuals who perform excellently will be highly valued team members. Career development opportunities involve taking on more complex client portfolios and asset classes, managing cross-team processes, and sponsoring initiatives within the organization. Areas of impact include:
- Enabling hedge accounting consultants to accomplish more by providing support during month-end and quarter-end financial reporting, daily transaction implementation and documentation, and ad hoc analysis and project work
- Liaising with internal teams such as our technology and data integrity teams to ensure client deliverables are timely and accurate
- Partnering and collaborating on client questions and requests to enable consultants to focus outwardly
Contributors to your success:
The ideal candidate has a willingness to learn complex areas of accounting and risk management and is a process-oriented thinker with strong attention to detail. This position is tailored for a professional interested in challenging, client-serving work within a dynamic team environment, who prefers not to have the pressure of being directly client-facing.
- Minimum of 2 years of accounting, audit, and/or operations experience
- SQL or VBA experience is preferred but not required
- Strong values and work ethics
- Strong preference to find efficiencies and implement process improvements
- Highly motivated and independent worker
- Willingness to learn complex economic and accounting strategies
- Enjoys working in a dynamic team environment
- Proactive and forward-thinking
- Ability to prioritize/manage time, meet deadlines and problem solve
- Thoroughness and attention to detail
- Demonstrates initiative
Please note that our company has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy for office-based employees to safeguard the health and well-being of our office-based employees and visitors. As a condition of employment, our office-based employees working on-site are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law. This is an office-based role that requires the employee to work on-site.
About Chatham Financial:
Chatham Financial delivers financial risk management advisory and technology solutions to organizations across industries and around the world by helping companies maximize value in the capital markets. At Chatham, we help businesses improve their bottom lines. But that’s not the only place we’re committed to making an impact. We look beyond our clients, too — enhancing the markets where we work, supporting the clients we partner with, helping our employees thrive, and giving back to the world at large. And when you join Chatham, you’re an integral part of this equation, enabling us to live this purpose-driven philosophy every day.