Our purposes and values are what define us
At Chatham, we have sought to build a company where our collective common bond around our purposes and values is obvious to our clients, partners, vendors and communities. Our purposes—the reasons for our existence—inspire us to the level of excellence for which we are known. And our values provide guardrails on our journey toward accomplishing our purposes.
Since our founding, Chatham has embraced a multiple bottom line philosophy that can be best summed up in our company’s recognized five purposes. These purposes articulate why we exist:
- Impact markets. We strive to create transparency, pursue innovation and drive markets toward more equitable outcomes. We strive to impact the markets we serve, to make them more transparent, efficient and safer for all players in the market.
- Impact our clients. Our goal is to partner with our clients for mutual success. Chatham’s ultimate goal is to earn the right to move “inside the wall of trust” and operate like a partner rather than a vendor by constantly working in our client’s best long term interest.
- Impact Chathamites. We aspire to create an organization in which people can thrive both professionally and personally and become the best versions of themselves. Our emphasis on collaboration, humility and servant leadership not only shape individuals but creates an environment conducive to personal growth.
- Impact our communities and the world. We seek to impact the communities in which we are located via organizations started by Chathamites as well as other community organizations for which Chathamites volunteer. Our impact is not limited to contributions but also focuses on causes in which Chathamites are personally involved.
- Impact purpose-oriented investors. Chatham strongly encourages employee stock ownership and, as a 100% employee-owned company, we seek to provide both strong returns and long term organizational alignment as we focus on building a thriving, sustainable purpose-driven organization.
These purposes are the reasons Chatham exists and provide the inspiration for building an organization of like-minded individuals who are driven in both thought and action toward making a difference.
In a world rocked by LIBOR scandals and insider trading, more companies are paying attention to the idea of core values. We see our core values as timeless standards that we would rather shut our doors and go home rather than violate. They provide the guiderails on our quest to accomplish our five purposes.
Chatham’s approach is to find employees whose personal values align with our core values and who can become propagators of those values. We then vest those values with organizational power that supersedes titles or compensation. We encourage everyone to throw the flag, regardless of tenure or role, if there is even the slightest suspect of a value being in question.
Value definitions are subject to wide interpretation. While some behaviors are clear violations under almost anyone’s definition, many situations are in the gray. Our approach is to use those times to generate discussions to help each Chathamite have a deeper and richer understanding of what it means to live according to our values.
- Act with honesty and integrity. We strive to align our thoughts, speech and actions so that we do what is right, just and fair, even when no one is looking. We will be honest with each other, with our clients and with ourselves, regardless of the consequences.
- Respect each individual. We want to treat each other with respect and dignity. We strive to serve our fellow team members and help them achieve their full potential. We respect that a person’s life outside of work is important.
- Do excellent work. We strive to do the best work possible. We believe that good is the enemy of great and will not be satisfied with mediocrity.
- Work together. Individual success is best achieved through team success and a focus on ‘we’ rather than ‘me’. We work to accomplish great things together and share information freely.
- Build long-term relationships. We always invest in our relationships with our clients, business partners and team members with a long-term perspective in mind. Recognizing that trust is a critical element to any long-term relationship, we seek to earn and develop it with others.